What are Lash Extensions?
Lash extensions are semi-permanent, synthetic, faux mink or silk fibers that are applied strand by strand with specially formulated non-irritating glue to your own lashes to enhance your eye shape.
Traditional false eyelashes, which you remove after each use, are applied directly to the skin and have pre-designed depth and layers that don't take your unique eye shape into account. Extensions, on the other hand, attach to the lashes themselves, so they grow out naturally and can be customized to create specific depth and elongation to your eye shape for the exact effect you crave.
How Long Can You Keep Eyelash Extensions On?
With proper care extensions can last up to 4-5 weeks before they shed. The shedding cycle will happen in tandem with your natural hair-growth cycle. To maintain the full-lashed effect, refills or fill-ins are a great way to extend the life of your lashes and are recommended every 2 to 3 weeks.
Do Lash Extensions cause damage to your natural lashes?
No, extensions alone will not cause damage to your natural lashes. Lashes can be damaged as a result of improper care, though. For example, rubbing your eyes will result in immediate breakage. Other things to keep in mind while wearing eyelash extensions are:
- NEVER use an eyelash curler on your lash extensions
- Avoid any oil-based products and heavy creams around the eyes. This includes any cleansers and/or makeup remover.
- Do not touch your lash extensions. The oils from your hands will break down the bonds of the adhesive faster, resulting in more shedding of the lash extensions.
- Absolutely NO waterproof mascaras. They are only able to be removed using oil-based cleansers and makeup removers, so avoid these if you choose to wear mascara, even on your lower lashes.
- No picking, pulling, or tugging on the lash extensions. This will cause damage to your natural lashes
- Avoid steam, saunas, and hot showers for the first 24 hours after your lash extension appointment. The steam can break down the bonds of the adhesive and will result in premature shedding.
- If possible, it is recommended to switch to using a silk pillowcase. Cotton pillowcases run the risk of snagging.
- If possible, do not sleep on your stomach. The friction from your pillowcase while laying on your stomach will cause premature fall out. We recommend sleeping on your back or side - but keep in mind that whichever side you usually favor sleeping on, it is absolutely normal to see more lashes shedding on this side rather than the other.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I wear makeup with lash extensions?
Yes! You can absolutely wear makeup while having lash extensions. Just be sure that any eyeliners, mascaras, etc you are using are eyelash extension friendly. With the popularity for lashes rising, there are several cosmetic brands on the market now that cater specifically to eyelash extensions. Your lash technician will recommend any products they believe would suit you best for you to purchase.
How long do appointments take?
For a first-time client or any full set appointments, plan on laying down with your eyes closed for anywhere between 2.5 to 3 hours. Fill-ins are much quicker appointments, ranging from 1-2 hours depending on the amount of lashes each client has remaining and how well they have taken care of them.
Can I have lash extensions with sensitive eyes?
You can. Your technician will meet with you and discuss your medical history to be sure that there are no contraindications to receiving the service. Things to be sure to let your provider know are: any recent eye surgeries, latex allergies, and any history of dry eye to name a few. If you are not a good candidate for lash extensions for any reason, your technician will explain why. Your eye health is the most important thing to us, and we will not perform any service that would put you at risk.
What does the aftercare look like?
The most important rule for eyelash extensions is to keep them clean. Your technician will demonstrate proper cleansing before sending you home with the recommended products. Cleanse your lashes each morning and night to keep them healthy, clean and SAFE! Improper cleansing can lead to a buildup of dirt, makeup, and oils that can cause eye irritation, swelling, or eye infections. If you do not follow proper cleansing habits, your technician may require you to have your eyelash extensions removed for your eye health and safety.
Schedule Your Appointment
Call us at (704) 782.7546 for more information or to schedule your appointment. You may also visit us online to book by clicking the link below. We look forward to seeing you soon!